Thursday, April 9, 2009
Steve's Thoughts & Observations
I first posted this a few days ago so some of you might have already read it. We found out from friends that there was the possibility of our blog being blocked from us seeing it in China due to some of the statements that I made. We did not want to take that chance so this was only up for a few hours that day. But now that we are leaving China today, we felt like it was ok to put back up. I have added a couple of things but basically it is the same. So back by popular demand… #1 – My wife is awesome! She has done the hard part of this trip by far. She kept up with most of the paperwork, did most of the packing, has done all of the blog and has been the primary caregiver to our sweet little Anna Claire. Stacy has really been a trooper on the flights; and she has not complained much in some very adverse and strange circumstances. I know this has been the fulfillment of a God-given dream for her and it has truly been exciting to be part of this journey with her. I would not have wanted to do it with anybody else. She has been amazing! #2 – The Chinese people are very hard workers. We have been around a lot of people doing their jobs every day very faithfully. They are mostly very kind and would do anything for you. In some ways, it shows a poor work ethic for the U.S. but in other ways it shows such desperation because they have nothing else to live for except making money for their families to live. #3 – Driving in traffic is like nothing I’ve ever experienced. It’s not that we’re going very fast; it’s that we’re all VERY close! Traffic lights are observed but many laws just seem to be a suggestion. If we drove in the U.S. like I’ve seen here, there would be so many wrecks we would be tied up in traffic jams all the time. But I’ve only seen a couple of fender-benders after the fact even though I’ve personally experienced more close calls than I care to remember. Between the cars, buses, bikes (mainly electric), motorcycles and pedestrians, it’s been amazing to watch. You truly seem to place your life in your driver’s hands every time you go somewhere. And nobody wears seatbelts! Who has the right-of-way only has to do with how big your vehicle is or how much you can bluff the other person or how large your group is. It’s truly a cultural experience! #4 – On a serious note, it’s been heart wrenching at times to look out the window at the thousands and thousands of apartments and know that so many people don’t know Jesus. I have cried several times thinking about this. Our first guide that we had in Beijing did not have one “Jesus church” friend and had never been to church. When I asked her about religions, she said that some of the older people were Buddhists and a few believed in Jesus. I asked her about the majority of the others and she matter-of-factly said that they believe in nothing. There is such an emptiness when I look in their eyes. She said most people are just working to live and gain money. Our second guide in Nanchang said a lot of the same but also threw in Taoism as a religion. She said she did have one Christian friend and had been to her church. But when I asked about what they shared, it sounded like a watered-down “Golden Rule” teaching that will help you deal with bad things in life. She did say that they taught out of the Bible but I don’t think she heard about Jesus. It is all very sad to me but makes me glad that I am part of a church that is involved in world missions. We are so comfortable in the U.S. church and don’t really realize how many people are going to hell. I know that there are people who are not saved in our cities and our churches. But at least they’ve heard. I don’t think most of the people that I’ve come in contact here even have a clue. And that bothers me to my core! We are SO blessed and don’t even know it. Another side note is that these guides had no idea of “house churches” or that anyone was suffering for their belief in Jesus Christ here in China. I had heard about how large the underground church was and the impact it is making. But I have not seen or heard about it at all in my travels. I’m hoping that we were just isolated and didn’t hear about these things. But it still made me wonder. The Great Commission still has a lot of work ahead before Jesus will return. I plan to be a part of that work the rest of my life. (Addition: In Guangzhou we did meet two shop owners that were Christians and it showed in their faces. One of them had a Bible openly seen on his desk and the other young lady talked about going to church and sometimes closing on Sunday during that time. They said the Christian church was slowly growing. There were refreshing to talk to and brought me some hope though they were far in the minority.) #5 – Adopted parents and families are a great group of people. I have met so many wonderful people. It seems crazy to the natural mind to spend thousands of dollars to go half way around the world to adopt a baby. The Chinese people don’t understand it. I know a lot of Americans don’t either. But it’s just part of what God has done for us. He paid a price to adopt us into his family! And God puts that same heart into a lot of people’s hearts. Some of these people have done this before and keep coming back for more. Some folks are very brave and are adopting children with special needs (mainly boys). It’s very humbling to watch at times. Every time I look at Anna Claire, I’m reminded that we are part of her destiny and she is a part of ours. I believe she will be saved and that we’ve been a part of rescuing her life. She has also changed our lives forever. We will never be the same again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment